Quantcast

Raider Report via Silver & Black Players, Staff, & Fan Blog.. ( VIDEO/Link ) ..

Raider Report via Silver & Black Players, Staff, & Fan Blog.. ( VIDEO/Link ) ..

13kvFINS
Some interesting thoughts from this weeks actual on field opponents, while other Tid-Bits are retrievable below the video.

http://www.raiders.com/media-vault/videos/Two-Minute-Drill/5a0e0150-cc29-4446-ad23-f39433476b71

Here are some thoughts from a Raider fan blog administrator ( Levi Damien ) as well as thoughts from other Dolphin vs Raider topics via the included link. I figured that we know what we already think, and that some perspective from another spectrum might help us be a little more open-minded in our own thought process.

""" Key matchups: Dolphins offense vs Raiders defense

The Raiders' defense has looked pretty good so far and the Dolphins offense has not really gotten off the ground. The Dolphins' issues surrounded four turnovers-- three on interceptions and one on a fumble. If they could clean up the turnovers, it's hard to say what they could do.

The Raiders gave up 22 points in the opener but much of that had to do with giving the Chargers great field position to start drives. The Raiders held them out of the endzone on every short field they had. Although they did give up their one touchdown on a long sustained drive which included two penalties on third down (both by Tommy Kelly) that kept the drive alive and one long pass. That is supposed to be the Raiders of old but it reared its ugly head in the new Raiders and cost them seven points.

Here is what Raiders defensive coordinator, Jason Tarver, had to say about the Dolphins offense:

"They do a nice job of trying to control the ball," said Tarver. "In the run game their offensive line is getting better at moving people. They did a good job against Houston early in that game moving their defensive line around, which is a good challenge.

"The young quarterback has improved and they do a good job of getting the ball out of his hands fast... I don't think he really rattles watching him. I think he stays in his progressions. I know coach Sherman and they do a good job of teaching quarterbacks."

Since we're on the subject of the Dolphins rookie quarterback, we'll start there.

Ryan Tannehill vs Tommy Kelly

Yes, that's right, Tommy Kelly. I mentioned Tannehill had three interceptions on the day-- two were off of tipped balls at the line of scrimmage. That seems odd for a 6-4 quarterback to get tipped at the line but he apparently is not good about getting the ball high enough to clear the line. Kelly has always been pretty good at tipping balls at the line. He is 6-6 so when he gets his hands up, not much is getting over him. In fact, when the Raiders faced the Dolphins last season, Kelly tipped the first pass of the day. And after watching tape of Tannehill, Kelly is certainly going to be getting those hands up now. Well, when he's not trying to push through the Dolphins right guard, John Jerry.

Jonathan Martin vs Lamarr Houston

The Raiders had just one sack last week. It appeared much of the time, they were protecting against the run. Well, that is what one would hope considering Matt Shaughnessy was lining up opposite an undrafted rookie at left tackle. This week it is Lamarr Houston who gets to go up against a rookie offensive tackle. It's the Dolphins round two pick out of Stanford, Jonathan Martin, who last week had JJ Watt lined up against him and Watt had 1.5 sacks and the two tipped balls which were intercepted. Houston (the player, not the team) lost 20 pounds this offseason and is looking very fast off the edge. These two should have some nice battles and if Watt's production is any indication, Lamarr should have some success.

Reggie Bush vs Rolando McClain

Bush has a very similar skill set to Darren McFadden. They both are very fast and catch the ball out of the backfield as well as they rush with the ball. In last year's matchup with the Dolphins, McClain was spying on Bush all day. The result was 22 carries for 100 yards for Bush including a big 29 yard run in which he faked McClain way out of the play. Also like McFadden, Bush is the Dolphins' number one weapon and therefore is McClain's top priority. McClain was often seen manning up on McFadden out of the backfield in Raiders camp, even when it was a pass downfield. The other linebackers will have their focus split with the tight ends so McClain needs to be where he's supposed to be as well as line up his teammates. And with Bush, McClain better damn well wrap up.

Davone Bess vs Joselio Hanson

Bess is the Besst receiver the Dolphins have. He is their slot receiver and he took over the same role that Wes Welker had when he was a Dolphin. He is small, fast, and has great hands. The ideal slot receiver. Hanson's job with the Eagles for the past few years has been that of slot receiver. When the Eagles and Dolphins played each other last season, Bess was held to two catches for 12 yards, in large part because of Hanson's coverage in the slot. Hanson collected five tackles in the game as well. Then again, that was with the Eagles and he has only been with the Raiders for a couple weeks. It is hard to say if he has developed the chemistry and comfort with his new teammates and scheme to perform at that level. Especially with Pat Lee getting his first start at corner which will add to the confusion. Hard to know what to expect here."""

Story with pictures and additional topic links of matchup..
http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2012/9/14/3335736/key-matchups-miami-dolphins-offense-vs-oakland-raiders-defense#storyjump

Seems like a fairly positive report on our Miami Dolphins, ( for the most part ) considering that they're pretty tough on their own overall team while in many aspects the two teams sound like one in the same..

GOFINS!!!

TanneTHRILL 7teen ...

Re: Raider Report via Silver & Black Players, Staff, & Fan Blog.. ( VIDEO/Link ) ..

13kvFINS
This post was updated on .
Here's something else from ( Raider Blog Administrator Levi Damien ) that Jules as well as many others will appreciate, ( Positives to take from a loss )   !! While it also confirms my above thoughts that "" in many aspects the two teams sound like one in the same "" !!  If's, and's, or but's their WR's can't seperate or catch the ball either !! Thought you'd all enjoy the fact of knowing that we're not alone in this league..

"""Amidst all the bumbling and stumbling in the Raiders season opener versus the Chargers, there was some positives that could be taken from it. After all, it is not often that the loss of a long snapper is the end of the world. It just turned out to cause a one game collapse.

I am not one to make an effort to flip things over to look for the bright side. If it's ugly, it's ugly. None of those "If the Raiders hadn't lost their long snapper, they would've won this game" nonsense. Because that is far from any kind of certainty. There are no moral victories in this game. You either play well enough to win, or you don't.

But with that said, let's put on our sunshine hats and look at the bright side.

Defense: The Raiders defense had been touting how they were a top five caliber defense through much of training camp. Richard Seymour led this effort and his fellow defenders followed. They did pretty well to back up those words on Monday. The Raiders handed the ball to the Chargers in great field position four times and every single time, the Chargers failed to get in the endzone. Their one touchdown was ironically after Shane Lechler's biggest punt of the day (62 yards) with only a four yard return. Not ironically, it was because of penalties that the drive was kept alive. And they even got that under control.

Darren McFadden and Carson Palmer chemistry: The two of them were really enjoying finally taking the field together. McFadden was more than half the Raiders offense. He touched the ball 28 times on Monday and looked as lethal as ever. The Chargers defensive schemes made the Raiders pretty one dimensional which was playing with fire. They dared the Carson Palmer and the Raiders to take the underneath routes all day so the Raiders took them. McFadden has great hands and great speed. One missed tackle on those underneath routes, and he would have been gone. They will need to take down his touches a bit but these two are certainly going to be hooking up a lot.

Key players absent now returning: Denarius Moore, Stefen Wisniewski, and Juron Criner were all healthy enough to go for the Raiders but they didn't play because they hadn't practiced but a week. Wisniewski took more first team reps at center this week and is expected to start. Palmer was under a lot of pressure in the game and having Wisniewski back should help with that. There was also an issue with the receivers not being able to get open downfield in the game. Denarius Moore is the Raiders' primary deep threat and Juron Criner has shown himself to be great with the jump ball. The speed and catching abilities of Moore and the jump ball abilities of Criner would have come in handy on Monday had they been in the game. As it stood, the Raiders didn't score a touchdown until it was too late to make a comeback."""

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2012/9/12/3324142/three-positives-to-take-from-oakland-raiders-season-opening-loss-vs-san-diego-chargers

GOFINS!!

TanneTHRILL 7teen ...

Re: Raider Report via Silver & Black Players, Staff, & Fan Blog.. ( VIDEO/Link ) ..

TXDOLFAN
Good stuff Kenny. I really like reading thoughts from the other side of the ball.  The comparisons were very enlightening.  I won't be seeing it this week as Houston and Dallas games will be shown before any other.

Re: Raider Report via Silver & Black Players, Staff, & Fan Blog.. ( VIDEO/Link ) ..

13kvFINS
This post was updated on .
Hey Tex, Paul usually has a live game feed & chat at the Shout.. Were you aware of that ?? You could watch-it !!

PS, glad you like this kind of stuff as I hope to do such every week as well as the same type of post game stuff that was here last week ( Play by Play, Game Box Score, Stats, Team Quotes, etc )..

Our side of the story can become stale sometimes while 16 weeks worth of other teams view of us might end-up being more enlightening than what we think we already know..

Did you notice the abundance of similarities between the two teams ??
Though we have our longterm QB, and they'll likely regress once again when CPalmer hangs'em'up..
TanneTHRILL 7teen ...

Re: Raider Report via Silver & Black Players, Staff, & Fan Blog.. ( VIDEO/Link ) ..

Shawn
The key is to get Tannehill mobile and have a heavy dose of Bush, Miller and J.Lane. Clay better show up this week or else he'll end up in the DOGHOUSE.