Quantcast

Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

13kvFINS
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8341713/greg-jennings-uncertain-long-term-future-green-bay-packers

Wide receiver Greg Jennings enters the 2012 season uncertain about his long-term future in Green Bay.

Jennings' contract is up at the end of the season, and he acknowledges the possibility that he could be playing somewhere else this time next year.

"But everyone knows what the reality of it is when guys are coming up on a deal," Jennings said. "Will you be here? If I don't get a contract, no. Do I want to be here? Absolutely. Everyone upstairs knows that. The guys around me know that. But at the end of the day, the focus has to be on football. I have to go out there and prepare as I've always prepared, put myself in the best situation to make plays for my team and this organization."

But with the Packers preparing to face the San Francisco 49ers in Sunday's season opener at Lambeau Field, Jennings insisted his contract situation won't become a distraction.

"I'm not worried about whether I'm going to end up here or whether I'm getting a contract done," Jennings said. "That will take care of itself. Right now, my (mind) is on the 49ers, and it will be on the next opponent and the next opponent after that. If I'm here, I would love to be here. If I'm not, it is what it is.

"At the end of the day I'm going to play football, I'm going to play 100 percent every single snap. This is my locker, I want this to be my locker until I hang my cleats up and decide I'll give this locker up to someone else."

Jennings is one of several high-profile players the Packers' front office will have to address in the foreseeable future. Outside linebacker Clay Matthews and defensive lineman B.J. Raji come up after the 2013 season, and Aaron Rodgers is vastly outperforming a deal that runs through the end of the 2014 season.

Jennings said he wasn't sure if the Packers will be able to keep all four players.

"I'm sure they would love to," Jennings said. "I'm sure all four guys would love to stay. But who knows? Only time will tell."

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
TanneTHRILL 7teen ...

Re: Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

Paul Smythe
Administrator
I really don't know how likely it will be that he doesn't get a new contract with the Pack, but, of course, I would love to have him here.
TannMarino and Danehill

Re: Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

Shawn
Love to have him, would be a great fit. As long as our cap numbers are right, get him.

Re: Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

13kvFINS
I like him but I'd rather wait till 2014 to get Clay Matthews !!  Without Jennings, I think we'll go after one of three underclassman WR's ( Robert Woods USC ) in the draft.. With Jennings, I think we'll go for an absolute shutdown CB in underclassman ( David Amerson NCState or Dee Milliner Alabama ) ..

Wish it were Jordy Nelson rather than Jennings that might potentially become a 2013 FA WR, but that ain't gonna happen seeing that Nelson just signed a longterm deal ..

While I'd doubt that they'll let Matthews get away in 2014, jumping on Jennings in 2013 is probably the more likely possibility for us !!  Fingers crossed for the next 6 months for more than one reason

GOFINS : ) !!
TanneTHRILL 7teen ...

PS, Patrick suggest that we'll have a ton of cap space in 2013    !!
TanneTHRILL 7teen ...

Re: Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

Shawn
Kenny I would LOVE to get Matthews, but... . I am in the same mindset as you about the next 6 months and then the draft

Re: Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

Riverdog
I think Patrick is correct, but what is not being thought about is the number of FAs on this team.  We have close to 25 FAs next year.  It is no wonder why the team is trying to gather draft picks.

Every time I think about the way this team was assembled it makes me sick.  How do we have that many FAs coming up at one time ?  I can understand 10 or so, but nearly 1/2 the team ?  What are they thinking about ?

The cap space is being created because of the amount of FAs that will not be with the team next year.

Re: Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

13kvFINS
25 ?? Ouchhh Gary!! Bess, Hartline ,Fasano, Long, Starks , Wake, SS, Clemons, MM ..
No idea who the other 16 or so are but I have a feeling that several of them were recently released, and that would probably leave about "" 10 "" or so nobodies beyond the above 9 as o13 Fin FA's ..

Gotta keep Bess, Wake, and Sean Smith !!  BIG Jake too if he stays healthy for 16 games !! If not, we can't afford him !! Devlin will be as capable of a backup as MM to Tannehill in o13, so MM's gone unless something unscrupulous happens to ( I can't even suggest it ) !!
TanneTHRILL 7teen ...

Re: Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

Riverdog
Yes some of them have been released.  Just went over the list and I'm seeing 18 FAs next year.  This site has been wrong in the past, and it is showing Pouncey and D Thomas as FAs next year which I am pretty sure is wrong.  Originally it was showing 28 FAs at the beginning of this year (before OTAs)  They have re-uped a few players and cut a few more to get the number down to 18 which includes Pouncey and Thomas.

Re: Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

BuckeyeFinfan
Wake just signed a 5 year extension in May, he cant be a FA after next year.

Re: Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

13kvFINS
So I was in the ball park in suggesting 16 or so without a list :) , and I forgot about Wake re-upping while I too strongly doubt that Pouncey & Thomas signed only 2 year rookie contracts..

Again, I'd think that the names I mentioned are the only names of major relevance to us (for the most part) .. OHHH-WAIT, isn't Reggie Bush due ??

TanneTHRILL 7teen ...

Re: Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

BuckeyeFinfan
I think Reggie is due, but not Pouncy and Thomas.

Re: Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

Patrick
Jennings is going to be 30 years old next year... That would be typical of Miami paying big for a guy whose best years are behind him. I would only pick him up if the price was right. The reason why Philbin is bringing in the philosophy of developing talent is because the only way to get better in the NFL is to develop and trade a the peak for high draft picks. Develop and trade, develop and trade, keeping certain players, like a franchise QB and proven leaders. If a team is willing to part with a veteran FA than we don' want him.

Re: Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

13kvFINS
So, USC's underclassman WR Robert Woods it is    !!

Jennings is brought to the table due only to Green Bay ties!!
I agree with the youth movement and raising players to honor your own franchise and/or families expectations !!

Seem's to me, that we should have kept more rookies and/or youngsters rather than sticking with some of the lower on the depth chart o13's scheduled FA's ..  I guess it was a numbers game ( position-wise ) ??
TanneTHRILL 7teen ...

Re: Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

TXDOLFAN
GB will re-sign Jennings because I think Donald Driver will hang it up after this season.  They won't part with Matthews either.  On our extra cap space right now, I predict that Jake will get locked up for awhile.  If he is hurt alot this year, he probably won't command as big a contract as when hesigned.

Re: Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

13kvFINS
Sounds accurate to me on GB issue's Tex : ) !! Though I don't know that Jake would be willing to take much less money than any other All-Pro LT whether he realizes he's always injured/nicked-up or not ?? Patrick has suggested in the past that the LT isn't that key of a cog in our West Coast offense, while also not as deserving of dollars as an LT would be in a typical NFL offense, and that we won't be likely to pay top dollar for an LT..

I think that if he stays healthy for 16 game's, we re-sign him no-matter our style of O or the dollar amount!!
If not healthy for the majority, I hate to suggest, he's gotta go unless he's willing to play for minimum wage or at least at a severely reduced rate which I'd doubt he'd accept!!

I guess we'll find out fer-sure sometime around March !!
TanneTHRILL 7teen ...

Re: Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

canamdolphin
Ireland was wise in signing Jonathan Martin. that's his leverage in talks with Jake Long.
There is no defense against a perfect pass. I can throw the perfect pass.

DAN MARINO

Good logic Kenny!

Re: Green Bay Packer number one WR Greg Jennings to be 2013 FA ??

TXDOLFAN
I agree CanAm:)